Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Turquoise Lady


We went for an early morning photo walk through La Jolla, without wallets - past some of the most expensive shops in this part of Southern CA. When a jewelry store finally opened I browsed several silver and stone bracelets and fell in love with one. Joking about Mother's Day made the decision and Brock left to walk several blocks for a wallet and credit card.

While waiting, I talked with Olga, 57, the owner who told me (with a thick Italian accent), she met her American husband 40 years ago, moved to the US and travels frequently back to Italy to see her Mom, ". . . still a tough old woman", she laughed. "You know my husband too is so nice like yours", she added. "When he sees I really like something, he wants very much for me to have it."

Olga has owned upscale jewelry shops i n Newport Beach, Portland and Palm Desert - but now wants to stay indefinitely in La Jolla where "the weather is perfect!" She glanced at my camera and was excited to tell me about her new adventures with photography. She pulled out a tiny Lumix 10X digital and showed me some recent photos she'd taken of jewelry that just seemed to hang freely in an all white space.


Excitedly she picked up a heavy piece of funiture to put a large white cloth wrapped box on it.




She told me how she constructed the thin wooden frame (with lumber from Ace Hardware) and shopped at Wal*Mart for the white satin fabric. Using a staple gun she assembled the covered box which she moved around to show me the various lights from her open back door.


Placing a neckless in the box, she proudly demonstrated how her mini photo lab worked and handed me a business card to her website: http://www.turquoiselady.com/

She also told me about the colorful birds that land in the trees out her back door and her new photo collection of them as they sing in the branches.


And my new bracelet (my photo just on plain paper with kitchen light).


No comments: